Certain events throughout our lives trigger certain behaviors. A wedding could make us reflect on love (though for some it may do the opposite). A death might cause us to reflect on our own life while a selfless act may cause us to become more altruistic. Holidays have the same effect. This time of year there is a lot of talk about giving thanks. Christmas is the season of giving. New Year’s is remembering the past and looking to the future. What if we did this more often?
Better relationships, better service and better communication could be part of our routine if we just did a little more communicating.
- Thank people more often. Whether it’s your co-workers, customers, employees or family, your sincere thanks for their efforts can go a long way. Let people know how much you appreciate them.
- A random act of kindness. Do something for others without expecting anything in return. Do this daily. Give your time. Make someone else’s day better and see what it will do for you.
- Reflect on the past. Use it as a time to learn and grow not as a time to hope for what could have been. When we learn from our past, we may avoid some mistakes in our future.
- Look ahead for what is to come. Start thinking big picture about your life, your business, your family or whatever is important to you. Big picture thinking helps you paint the roadmap to achieve your version of success.
- Remember. Remember those who have helped you. Who was your mentor? Who shaped your life? Appreciate what others have done for you. And remember, somewhere out there you are influencing someone too.
- Celebrate. Find a reason to celebrate. Maybe it’s my college days talking, but there’s always a reason to celebrate. Recognize the accomplishments both large and small. Don’t worry, you can always read the local paper if you need something to bring you down.
- Do something every day to improve. Opportunities are missed because we aren’t reaady for them. Find ways to inspire your own learning and development path so when that opportunity comes along you can take advantage of it.
Why wait for a special occasion to take action? These actions can be done any time for any reason. They may mean more to the ones you are connected to when it comes unexpectedly.